Sunday, 13 October 2013

Sounds, Words Sentences

This little blog of mine sure has been neglected.
As I told you, I am not in the classroom at present. 
I do miss all the fun that goes with having a class.

For part of the day, when I'm not teaching Reading Recovery, I teach lots of different classes.
I have been doing a Science Unit about Space with my classes. I will be posting this unit on TPT soon. 
As well I have a fun freebie that I will be posting for you, so don't give up on me!!
 

I wanted to show you my sounds / come writing activity that I did with my Kinders last year. 
I call it Sounds Words Sentences.

The purpose behind this activity is to show my little learners the big picture when learning sounds.
Starting with a 'mystery sentence' we find a word beginning with a letter and then the sound in that word.

I have a mystery sentence to go with each letter of the alphabet.

I laminate the words for the sentence and cut them up.  
I put magnetic tape on the back and use it on the big magnetic board. You could also do this with a pocket chart.


It becomes an interactive lesson where we reconstruct the jumbled mystery sentence.
I use this as an opportunity to do some explicit teaching about sentence structure, ie capitals, spaces, and punctuation.





My students do a worksheet where they practise writing the letter and the word.

Then they do the scrambled mystery sentence.



I made some alphabet charts and my students used these to write some more words that begin with the sound.
You can see my little one using the word chart below.

I made a version of this activity which is available on TPT.










I cannot include the Word Charts because some of the clip art I used is for personal use only.
If you are interested, my Sounds Words Sentences pack is available at TPT HERE
It will be on sale for 2 days.

If you are a teacher from NSW and would like this pack in NSW Foundation font, you can email me after you purchase it and I will send it to you.

Happy Teaching

4 comments:

M-Sanvi Real Estate said...

अपने बच्चों के बेहतर भविष्य के लिए आज ही एक सही निवेश करें। किराया देने के बजाय अपना घर खरीदें और सुरक्षित जीवन जिएं। बेहतरीन विकल्प उपलब्ध हैं Flats in Uttam Nagar में। Call: 8100888666

Post a Comment